[OMC-Boats] Gas Additives

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 20:12:34 -0400

About 25 years ago I had the same question about valve seat regression due to lack of lead in fuels. I had a 73 Corvette then. BTW I also had both my Rogues back then but they were in mothballs. I wrote General Motors and they put me in touch with a fellow named Rus Stebar who was somewhere in the research part of the organization and we never came up with any solution but he said that the valve seat regression would not be a problem with normal use but could be a problem with high performance cars and or racing applications. Never let the engine ping under load or diesel after you turn it off. Those are symptoms of insufficient octane. You can run high test and you will not have trouble. I get pinging in the 69 Rogue 210 with regular gas. The additives are not really necessary. This issue of valve recession never did amount to much. You could go to a local car show and talk to the Vette or muscle car guys and find out what is happening with this now.
 Hey I know - go down to the local airport and get some avgas. I used to put that in my 427 sideoiler ERA Cobra! You could smell the stuff - real sweet but really not much increase in performance! TK