Re: [OMC-Boats] 1970 Evinrude Sportsman 155

From: Kim Foster <snagf@...>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 14:32:48 -0700

Greg - For what it's worth, I am firmly in the camp that lead substitutes and octane boosters aren't worth the money unless you are running a very high compression engine.

And unless you are using your boat as a daliy driver to and from work, I don't think you will notice any measurable loss of engine life because of valve regression from unleaded fuel. There are a lot of other things that can effect engine life more than unleaded fuel - change oil and filter often, make sure your impellers are always in good condition for maximum cooling, flush it good if ever in salt or silty water, consider a RACOR fuel strainer if you get gas at marinas frequently, and also consider switching to high-energy multi-spark electronic ignition - like MSD. I would proffer that most boat engines fail because of cooling system issues and/or corrosion/electrolysis WAY before valve regression will hurt you!

Lee and all - the plexiglass dash piece for the Deluxe 17 that I need is the CLEAR LENS piece. I will get the part number from my parts manual tonight and forward. It is an injection molded piece and having one duplicated is $$$...

Jake