[OMC-Boats] Steering Wheel Repair

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:24:58 -0700 (PDT)

I have a '70 Evinrude Explorer I'm restoring.  The steering wheel had several cracks just like any aging steering wheel would, one on each spoke towards the center hub and one on each spoke where it joins the outer rim.  I thought about replacing it with something newer but the concept of keeping it near original kept nagging at me so I opted to try my hand at repairing it.

I took a deep breath and bought some automotive bondo.  I filled the cracks, sanded it down and the gave it a coat of primer.  I couldn't believe how easy that was and it came out really great.  I'm just doing some touch up on it now getting it ready for it's blue paint.  I'll post some pics of it after it's painted and ready for install.

I'm looking for a center cap/cover piece that fits in the center opening hiding the bolt.  Anyone have a spare one or know where I can get one??  I assume it has the Evinrude logo on it.

Thanks.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer