Re: [OMC-Boats] Replacement Instrumentation (lib1@...)

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:49:21 -0800 (PST)

Lee,

Thanks for the links to your project.  WOW!  I like what you did and am impressed with the quality of the stitching on the corners and the steering wheel.  For the Exlporer, the three main instruments are in the center step through and the switches to the left and right of the steering column.  I decided to go with the Faria Chesepeake SS instrument package and went ahead and ordered it after not really finding equivilent sizes elsewhere.

I like the clean white background with crisp black graphics.  What I plan on doing is using the original aluminum back plate but cutting it horizontally as appropriate to enable reuse of the over head lip that keeps water off the face of the instruments and the lower trim piece that allows water to run out underneath.  I planned on using a 1/4" or so teak plank to drill the holes and then mount it over the original aluminum face plate.  The teak can be varnished as usual though I must admit I'm reconsidering that and using padded vinyl.  We'll see how that goes once the instruments arrive.  I also found a source for the original rocker switches to replace the ones there.  While most work two are questionable so I've opted to replace them all (I wanted to keep the original aluminum face plates as they are in excellent condition with all of the text graphics present).

I would love to keep the original steering wheel but it's cracked in two places and thus likely not a good candidate for restoration.  I've seen the wheel you used in various publications and didn't care for it but it looks good on yours so I'm going to reconsider that option.  Would it be great to replace it with a deep clear acrylic steering wheel from an early 60's Chrysler car??  Ahhhh.....

I'll post some pics shortly.

RON,  I believe the Johnson equivilent of the Evinrude Explorer is the Frontrunner where the helm is all the way forward.  I remember seeing one as a mere child of 12 or so and the forward helm design always stuck with me through life but I had no recollection of what it was.  I had described it in passing to a boating buddy several years ago and by chance he came across one locally listed in Craigslist (Craigslist is my friend!).  I recognized it immediately and went right out to look at it and made an offer that was accepted so now it sits in my carport at the rear of the house (Sorry 25' Bayliner, but now you have to go!!).

-Bill
Dallas, TX