Re: [OMC-Boats] Replacement Instrumentation

From: lib1@...
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:04:34 -0700

Hi Bill,

OMC did a nice job with the manufacturing and production of special aluminum parts like the dash panel, but that unforntunately makes them somewhat unique with respect to what are now considered industry-standard parts. You could most likely pull the instruments and panel out and enlarge the openings to accept instruments from Beede, Faria, Teleflex, CruzPro.

I went with CruzPro and they have a series of larger digital instruments that have 2-inch backplanes but will completely cover your existing opening. For ideas, you can see how I redid my Sportsman's instrument panel a couple of years ago at: PROJECT HELM I included photos of various other stock Sportman helm's at: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/hp/helm_project_originals/hp_orig_tn.html I probably got carried away, but it also afforded me the opportunity to completely re-wire the helm and update important safety and reliability areas. I also desgined my panel to allow me to swap out the more expensive CruzPro digital instruments for traditional (round) analog instruments if I ever decide to sell my boat.

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/helm_project.htm

Good luck and let us know how you decide to tackle your project.

Lee