Re: [OMC-Boats] OMC-Boats - Sterndrive motor drags

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:16:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Jeff LaCoste wrote:
> I pulled my tilt motor out yesterday and it was a little rusty, and
> the bushings were shot so I ordered a new one for $75 off ebay just
> like you mentioned. As for the gear box, it was full of chocolate
> milk, or something similar to it. I was wondering if there was a way
> to flush out the gear box without cracking open the unit, I dont want
> to get over my head. Was the part number you mentioned the gear box
> gasket?

Yes, the part 0308799 I mentioned earlier is the gasket for the tilt
housing. You'll likely destroy the cover if you take the cover off - so
have a new one on hand before disassembling it. Note that a gasket is
absolutely required in order to set the appropriate preload on the clutch -
if you use RTV instead the entire assembly will seize up (I tried).

Depending on what year you have, there may be a drain plug as well as a
fill/level plug. Mine only has a fill plug, so I had to remove the cover
to flush it. I think the drains were added much later. Loosen the four
bolts holding the cover on and gently pry it open with a screwdriver, doing
it gradually in each corner. Don't pry too hard on any of the screw
flanges. I think there's a little indent that is there to help get the lip
up.

If the screws don't turn easily or the cover won't come off, don't force
anything. Get a propane torch and heat it all up and try again. Heat
really helps free things up - it's all aluminum so it conducts well and you
won't even burn the paint off.

Once it's open, I flushed the gearbox out with large quantities of WD40 and
brake clean, sealed it back up, and refilled it. I already have water in
it again - I'm pretty sure it leaks through the end of the tilt shaft (worm
gear) housing. The o-ring there looks pretty trashed but I'm afraid to
take it all apart.

Ethan