Re: [OMC-Boats] overheating

From: JEFF DOOD <jdood@...>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:39:11 -0700

well.......frustratingly close to getting the problem solved. but
still not there. it's very weird. here's whats going on - my
mechanic has had it for a couple days. it was overheating on the
hose for him also (good thing, so not just happening underway). So
he checked for blockage etc - one part of one manifold was running
very hot, while the others were fine. swapped out that manifold.
Now engine is running at normal temps (albeit, on the hose), but
every gauge he hooks up to it says it's overheating. He swapped out
all the sending units to different ones from another engine (not new,
but different). Still, even trying different gauges, it says it's
overheating. He is confirming the actual engine temps with a special
heat sensor thing he uses - same as fire dept eqpt, say he trusts it
more than any gauge. Could be the engine IS actually overheating and
his eqpt is bad - but i don't think so - it sounds legit. maybe
other mechanics use this too when they can't trust any gauge.
nonetheless, assuming that's not the prob - then it would seem like
the sending units. but again, he swapped those out too.
possibility of 2-3 bad sending units in a row, but that seems like a
stretch. any idea?

if it were a crack, or blockage, or bad thermostat, or hoses, etc -
the engine would be running hot - which it supposedly isn't. yet
trying different gauges and sending units didn't make any
difference. Any other parts of the chain we're forgetting about here?

the weekend is coming and i'm so close to having this thing usable
again its driving me nuts!!!

jeff