Re: [OMC-Boats] timing/carb adjustment

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:43:16 -0600

Hi Jeff,

I'd like to ask a couple of "dumb" questions:

>> So a short history on my boat: had "different" Buick 155 put in my
boat last winter.

Do you know the history or source of your "different" Buick V6? Is it a
225 Cu in or 231 Cu in?
It's a long shot but --- You could have a even-fire crankshaft (231)
engine which requires a different distributor. Stay with me:

The original OMC Buick V6's were all odd-fire and were 225 cu in. They
used Delco-Remy distributors designed specifically for the odd-fire 225
cu in. Buick engineers first introduced the 90-degree "Fireball" 198 CID
V6 for the Buick Special & Skylark in 1961. In 1964 Buick bumped the
V6's displacement to 225 CID. The 90-degree 225 CID V6 engine was
essentially the 300 CID V8 with two cylinders removed. Odd-fire V6
firing intervals were staggered at 90 and 150 degrees so the tooling
could be shared with the V8. A 231 CID odd-fire V6 was offered from '76
- '78.

For smoother idling, Buick switched to a (weaker) split-pin crankshaft,
resulting in an even-firing V6 with the 231 & 252 CID V6's midway
through the 1977 model year and later. Even firing 6's use 120 degree
intervals. Hard for the average car mechanic to tell the difference
from external appearances.

(Look at the distributor cap and you'll see the rather "odd" odd-fire
spacing, 90-150-90-150-90-150.) See my website for more details on the
odd-fire/even-fire Buick V6: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/buick_v6.htm
<http://hhscott.com/evinrude/buick_v6.htm>

If you want a more detailed explanation on the odd-fire oddities see:
http://home.off-road.com/~merls_garage/oddfire.html
<http://home.off-road.com/~merls_garage/oddfire.html>

Was your "mechanic" a car guy or an experienced OMC marine guy?

Your used Mallory Marine distributor? Is it possible you got an
even-fire V6 distributor and stuck it into your odd-fire? Check the
inside of the distributor cap: Evenly spaced 6's are
120-120-120-120-120-120 degrees apart. I have never heard of a Mallory
distributor being used on an odd-fire Buick, but I suppose anything is
possible. Also, re-check the firing order: The odd-fire firing order is
1-6-5-4-3-2. The even-numbered cylinders are starboard, while the
odd-numbered cylinders are port-side. The heads feature an unusual valve
arrangement: E-I-E-I-I-E (port bank, stated from front to rear, or
starboard bank, stated from rear to front.) (Where Even-fire Firing
Order is: 1-6-3-5-2-4)

There's some very strange possibilities going on here -- This thread is
beginning to remind we of Click & Clack!

Hang in there -- I'm just trying to help out by figuring out exactly
what you have. Do you have a SELOC or OMC shop manual? that would be
helpful.

Oh yeah, what carb do you have? OMC used both 1-barrel (1964-65) and
2-barrels (1966 - 1970). I think the 1-barrel's were Carter's and the
2-barrels were Rochester's.

Lee Shuster
Salt City