[OMC-Boats] Engine compartment venting

From: mckeown <mckeown@...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:23:20 -0500

Running the blower while underway is unnecessary if your factory venting
system in intact. The original venting was designed to meet USCG specs. My
'71 has two rear-facing vents with long 3" hoses attached. These hoses run
to the bottom of the bilge so that whenever the boat is in forward motion,
any fumes are being pulled out of the boat.

There are also two forward-facing air intakes that supply air for cooling
and combustion to the engine compartment. Any addition of grilled openings
would only increase noise; you'd see no change at all in engine cooling or
performance. Remember, unlike a car where all waste heat comes out of the
radiator and through the engine compartment, waste heat in our boats goes
into the lake!

Bob