[OMC-Boats] 100 hp OMC CDI to points/breaker conversion

From: Ian Torrey (QNX) <itorrey@...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:32:12 -0400

I think I might convert my 1967 Evinrude 100 hp (CDI with sensor) to
a points/breaker ignition. Seems every step of the way is a hard to
identify, replace, or afford part, and I have a 1966 Johnson parts
motor here with a points/breaker ignition. Thought I'd swap out the
whole distributor and whatever the large finned device (a voltage
regulator?) on the rear of the block below the distributor. Has
anyone on the list done this before? Are there many steps to the
process or adjustment/timing to be done after the swap?

Dan McCormack- are you still on the list? I think you might have done
this conversion?

Also, my 1967 has a rectangular cast aluminum module with 2 mounting
bolts, mounted to the block below the distributor. It has 2 leads -
red and yellow, and is filled with a red packing resin. The yellow
lead appears to go up to the area of the charging system, and red to
power pack. I suspect this might be what my Seloc manual refers to as
a "clipper circuit" to prevent surges to the power pack, although
mine just has 2 leads, and the ones in the Seloc book have 3 or even
4. Does anyone know what this part is and whether it can be removed
or substituted? Problem is, I suspect this is faulty, and cannot seem
to find any references or a replacement for it. The back of the case
has an M logo on it (Motorola?) and 510689.

Thanks again,
Ian