[omc-boats] RE: omc-boats-digest V1 #717

From: MIKE MARY DAVIES <crashboat@...>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 07:57:01 -0700

Hi Ken,

I too have a Sweet 16 (64) which I am just about to complete after 3 years
of fooling around. As I prepared to paint it i decided to cut out one small
soft spot in the plywood flooring - well, 1 small spot ended up turning into
a complete tear-out of all the flooring and the foam underneath!!! But boy
was I glad! I had always just thought the hull was heavy - we took out well
over 500 lbs. of damp foam!! What a difference - I shudder to think how the
boat would have performed had we not done that!
Anyway, it was fairly simple and fairly quick. We used a sawzall to cut the
plywood floor around the outside and then used knives, mini crowbars,
whatever to dig out the foam. The main stringer under the foam runs down
the center of the hull and is all fiberglass - no wood to replace. Once
cleaned out, we cut and positioned new 1/2" marine plywood, then (and this
worked great) I had a guy with a fiberglass chop gun sprayer come in and
spray a resin/fiber mix over the ply. Then I layed mat over the ply and
sprayed more resin. Was very quick and easy and contoured the edges very
nicely. Once the glass had set, the same guy came back, we drilled 4 holes
in the deck and he injected closed cell foam untill the flooring got tight
and the foam flowed out of the overflow holes. It is now very tight and
light! This guy uses the portable glass system to build insulated holds for
fishing boats. It was a little expensive for the foam/glass ($700) but very
quick and very thorough! I'd do it again!!

As for other upgrades - everything on my "Sweet Thang" has been upgraded. I
decided since this was going to be my most used boat (of 6) I wanted it to
be reliable. So I put a brand new Evinrude E-tec 90 on it. When I put in
the new floor, I had put in a new transom and glassed in 4 heavy supports
between the transom and the floor - so I have no doubts about the transom
strength. The E-tec is all that the hype says - its quiet, fast, &
economical! My old Sweet 16 will push nearly 50. I also upgraded to
Teleflex No Feedback cable stering with a tilt wheel - so much more reliable
and comfortable than cable. All new electrical, carpeting, upholstery,
everything - but its worth it. Sweet Thang truly is an all new 64 Evinrude
that I can comfortably take anywhere and one that draws crowds everywhere I
take it.

Feel free to email me for more specific questions or if you want to see
pictures!

Good luck, Mike