Re: Re: Re: [omc-boats] battery support foam block

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 20:58:24 -0500 (CDT)

Good point, hadn't considered the boyancy of the air in the well...hmm

Oddly enough, gas only weighs 6 pounds per gallon, so the scale is skewed by 2.3 pounds per gallon, however, in my 69 the Gas tank is on the port side aft (just opposite of where you are thinking of putting in a live well) and truthfully, I do not notice vast differences between an empty and full tank (maybe a tiny bow raise and a little port list, but I will usually counter that from the driver seat on the stbd) and since, the boyancy is a function of displacement of the hull, rather than the foam,(under normal conditions) having water in place of the foam will only change the way the boat sits in proportion to the weight.

I guess the other plus of putting the well there would be that rigging the pump would be easier.

I suppose that if you insulated the well, you might be able to midigate SOME of the heat issues.

Here is an idea, rather than ripping out all of the foam. have you ever thought of just taking out the old "tool box" and strapping/mounting in a cooler, then just running your pluming and pump to that. The origional tool box on mine dissapeared long before I ever saw it and I have sinse strapped in a 22 gallon tub with a lid (I got it from a local camping supply store). Seems like a much easier idea to me. easier to take out and clean periodically too. and if it really does not work out for you, then it would be fairly easy to un-do and find a different location.

Cheers,
B.C.