Re: [omc-boats] Trucourse steering

From: lib1@...
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:11:26 -0600

Thanks Gregory for the pics of the lubrication fitting for the steering.

And thanks to Phil Bunde for lettimg us attach pics.

Just a note of clarification for the record: It's incorrect to call this a TruCourse steering. The various manuals aren't very clear on this subject:
OMC used three steering systems on electric stringers (which are typically not covered in the manuals):

1) ALL Evinrude-Johnson-OMC boats used the aircraft-type Cable-Rope and Pulley, shown here (thanks GFB!).

2) Then came the mechnaical/rack & pinion "Tiller Arm" which required attaching an external ARM thru a hole in the transom to the side of the sterndrive leg.

3) Around 1971 -72 came the proprietary OMC TruCourse system. It marries the concepts of mechanical gears and cables. It's a push-pull system where the cables are totally sealed-enclosed. The cables were sold in specific lengths. TruCousre can be retro-fitted to cable-pulley systems, but the necessary parts are difficult to come by. (TruCourse is the only system usually mentioned in the manuals).

Go figure...

Lee