Re: [omc-boats] impeller

From: lib1@...
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:45:55 -0600

Hi Ryan,

Nah, that impeller is sure not what I'd call easily accessible.

I'm not sure which OMC manual you have ? But I'm pretty sure all of them do cover removing and replacing the water pump impeller.
The rubber impeller that you're asking about is located in sterndrive, in the bottom of the upper housing, just above the split where the cavitation plate is.
>From the Seloc Manual: pg 10-8:

"Replacement of the water pump in the sterndrive involves many tasks, considerable time, and attention to detail, to insure proper performance after the work is completed. CAUTION: Water must circulate through the sterndrive to the engine any time the engine is run to prevent damage to the water pump in the sterndrive."

Also, don't forget the proper hose routing from the thermostat housing to the exhuast manifold is: Exhuast TOP to Thermostat BOTTOM for both sides.
It's not uncommon over a span of 40 yearsm for someone to connect these up improperly, which can cause overheating issues.

Some manuals describe flow-rate tests where you catch the water and time how long it takes to fill a measured container.

Do you have an OMC garden hose adapter? Or a way of getting a 55-gal drum under the sterndrive?

Lee