Re: [omc-boats] Last run of the season

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:00:36 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 lib1@... wrote:
> As far as spark plug's blowing ceramic - I recall reading about this
> happening frequently to early fifties Stock car racers in Smokey Yunick's
> excellent autobiography: "Best Damn Garage in Down."
> His take was that the quality control and manufacturing costs are kept so
> low, that most of the suppliers refuse to build plugs to keep up with higher
> compression engines.
> Just curious -- what brand plug failed on you?

I'll have to find a copy of that book - some winter reading material...

The plugs were Champion, the RJ14YC plug recommended by OMC for the
HU-series engines. It wouldn't surprise me if the quality control on spark
plugs is pretty variable.

I wanted to replace them with NGK plugs, but I couldn't figure out which
is the correct match. Some sources claim the XR-5 and some sources say
the BP-5S which has been replaced with the XR-4IX ($5-10 each) and
presumably the XR-4 (not sure about the heat range though). So I'm not
sure whether the XR-4 or XR-5 is correct - I can't even see any different
in specification. I think it's the XR-5 though.

It was difficult to find the right plug anyway. I stopped at four hardware
and auto parts stores before I finally found a place that had them. A
couple places had what they though were compatible Autolites or AC-Delcos,
but nobody couple find the NGK in their book. The fourth place had the
Champions, but they'd been there so long that they had three different
style boxes and the print on one box was faded.

Ethan

--
<A HREF="http://www.engr.wisc.edu/~brodskye/"> Ethan Brodsky </A>
UW FutureCar Team Paradigm: Two-Year FutureCar Challenge Winner