RE: [omc-boats] foam gone wild - OMC Deluxe defoaming

From: Greg Van Vliet <gvanvliet@...>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:15:52 -0800

Jeff,

My 65 Johnson Deluxe 16 had a very rotten floor so I didn't have any choice
but to tear it all up. When I did, it looked like the foam wasn't hardly
wet anywhere. However, it had a lot of cracks in it and the cracks were
discolored indicating that water had made it's way down them. I started
tearing out the foam and it was just like you described - like chipping
away at a gigantic apple. I soon discovered that there was water sitting
in the bottom inch or two along all the cracks and along the edges of the
stringers. I also found some water in the deepest part of the center of
the hull towards the bow. Judging by what I could see, I determined that
the stringers also had water in them. I cut off the top glass of the
stringers and proceeded to remove the foam from them. I really didn't want
to do this, but they had water along the bottom and along the sides. Ii
think I ended up with 15 garbage bags full of foam. Some of them probably
weighed near 30 pounds, but most were likely about 20 pounds.

In the end I removed every single bit of wood and foam from the hull.
 Right now it's sitting in my backyard with the top deck removed waiting
for spring weather so I can start the replacement work. Without the foam
and deck attached the hull sure is flexible! I may be fortunate enough to
get 4lb 2-part foam at cost from someone that my nephew works with. I'll
have to figure out how to fill the stringers and then re-glass the tops of
them before I can start on the rest. For now, my 90hp outboard is about to
be getting all the attention.

I decided that if I was going to do any structural work on this boat then I
would make sure to do it all completely from the start. Again, I had
little choice but to tear up the entire floor anyway. I've taken lots of
photos, but so far it's just of rotten floor and foam.

- Greg