Re: [omc-boats] RE: omc-boats-digest V1 #586

From: Dan McCormack <mcmack@...>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:14:36 +0000

Hi Lee...

Just to be clear - what I actually did was utilize the wiring harness and
junction box from a '64 and eliminated the '66 components all of which were
fastened to the powerhead rather than be contained within a junction box.
The '66 voltage regulator was transistorized/solid state and the one I'm
using now is mechanical. The box itself actually contains this regulator/a
starter solenoid and the 4 diodes mounted in heat sinks. What I find more
appealing about this arrangement is that these diodes can be
removed/replaced from the box using a socket - they unscrew from the heat
sinks ! The '66 setup requires that you replace the diodes and heat sinks
as a unit. I did this once this summer (cost was around $175 CDN) and as I
said it didn't last probably because of the transistorized regulator. I
think it was the problem and the local Bombardier dealer told me that if he
could find one the cost would be over $200 CDN. I'm just a "back yard"
mechanic but it seems to me that mounting these first generation electronic
components to the engine block was a bad idea by OMC. The junction box
being mounted inside the boat is not subjected to all that constant engine
heat and vibration and I believe that's why the older set up tends to last.
In any event if others out there are experiencing a similar problem with the
'66 or later charging system I recommend this conversion. It took me about
4 hours to make the change after making some wiring harness repairs (this is
why I needed the wiring diagram). The ammeter is the 20 amp scale.