Re: [omc-boats] Sportsman engine model/serial # lookup?

From: lib1@...
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:07:23 -0600

As far as the question is it Evinrude, is it Johnson or is it OMC? The
answer it usually doesn't matter.

I like to use the E/J/O moniker when parts are universal.

Over at www.fiberglassics.com they like to use JEGO for
Johnson/Evinrude/Gale/OMC as they are typically talking about older
outboards, not stringer sterndrives. see: http://www.fiberglassics.com/jego/

Note: Us old farts remember when Gale was another badge-engineered brand of
OMC outboard and later the Parts & Accessory Division of Outboard Marine
Corporation.

Typically mechanical parts on our boats like the sterndrives, are
technically identical to OMC sterndrives, except for the little logo badge
on the top cover of the sterndrive.

The history was OMC tried to market boats for about 18-months under the
OMC-brand, but then decided it would be easy to sell thru the established
dealer network of Evinrude and Johnson dealers. (Gale was discontinued as a
branded outboard after 1962).

So the only time you need to specify a part that is unique to Johnson or
Evinrude, is when it is a trim, logo, motor cover (on outboards) or color
specific. Oh, and of course let's not forget they decided to have some
distinction between Johnson/OMC's single-lever remote control and Evinrude's
Selectric push-button remote control. Roughly the same difference as trying
to tell a Plymouth Voyager from a Dodge Caravan. Only the badges and some
minor trim pieces are different.

There's a good book on E/J/O history (along with E/J/O boat model numbers)
at: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/all_omc_boats.htm

I've only compiled a page to help decode OMC ENGINE model numbers at:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/stringer_models_72.htm

If your boat truly is 1968 Sportsman 120 it should have originally had a
boat model number of: 1968 Evinrude 231605 S Sportsman 120 I/O

The 120 I/O unit itself would have been a CUE-16-C from 1968, The Buick V6
155 should have a HUE prefix. The middle number will decode the model year
of the engine from table on the webpages I've listed above.

Lee Shuster