Re: [omc-boats] (no subject)

From: David <odin@...>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:28:43 -0500

Jeff, my advise to you is to ask any mechanic you propose to use if
there is a water stream out of the sterndrive - if they say no - run
away from them as fast and as far as you can!

Second, always feel the exhaust manifolds - if water is circulating they
will be warm, not hot - and you are ok - if hot, you are not ok. As to
the power loss - the first thing to check is the compression - if any
cylinder is low, say less than 120 psi, you could well have a cracked
head - the most common crack is between the intake and exhaust valves
which are very close together and the crack is usually very thin and
hard to see - usually with this type of crack the engine will run fine
when cold and then lose power as soon as it heats up - so it is best to
check compression when it is hot. Dave