[omc-boats] Great Story! Thanks, Mike and Doug

From: Lee Shuster <lib1@...>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:14:23 -0700

It made my day to read the great story, as told by Mike Julien, of Grand Rapids, MI on their new-found homes for their '68 and '69 Sportsmans.

Hopefully, Mike and brother Doug are members of this list, if not perhaps Phil can pass this along?

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures in the water of the two boats, their owners and family and friends enjoying the maiden voyage(s).

A couple of weeks ago I was able to fulfill a dream and that was having my 82-year-old father fly from Ohio to Utah to enjoy his first ride in my 66 Sportsman. In the sixties, our family "made-do" with a Larson "All-American," with a V-4 75hp Evinrude. Our unfilled-dreamboat was the Sportsman and it was really fun to get us two old farts out on the water again. We hadn't done that together since the 70's!

The comparison of the 68 vs 69 Sporty is especially interesting in the water. The 4-inch deeper deadrise really lifts the bow up out of the water, making it much less exciting for unwary bow riders, at slow speed in a moderate chop!

Above the rub-rail, both boats share the "new-for-68" deck, which featured the "gull-wing" engine access covers, hinged in the middle.
This revised deck provided better aft and "over-the-transom" water protection, compared to the 64-67 Sportsmans, Sports and Sweet-16's.
The early Sporty's decks in the hind quarters, close to the water, almost bass-boat like, but they can work their bilge pumps, if you're trying to back away from the dock or trailer in a moderate sea.

After nearly 40 years, it's very interesting to see how close these two boats actually are. Since the 69's improved hull was supposed to be 8 to 10 percent faaster (Evinrude's claim), we'll have to wonder what the results woud be if the two Captains, drove each other's boat? I also wonder about on-board weight of gear, fuel, etc? And prop pitches?

Anyways, get story, keep us abreast of further fun!

Say that gets me thinkin'? We should organize a regional or national meet, wouldn't it be great to see a dozen or more E/J/O boats in one gathering? Any ideas for a cool gathering spot?

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City, Utah