[omc-boats] Comment on rope pulley steering

From: lib1@...
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:07:25 -0600

OK, I admit my what-where-they..... comment about the use of good-old-fashioned rope-pulley steering was a bit much.

It's interesting historically because a lot of the boat manufacturers by 1959 - 1962 were offering as std (or in some cases, optional)
Quicksilver "Ride-Guide" mechanical steering (push-pull cable) that I believe was developed jointly by Kiekhaefer and possibly manufactured by Teleflex.

Maybe the OMC engineers figured their KISS-approach was the way to go, since they wouldn't be got dead using a Kiekhaefer product?

Eventually (by about 1972-73), OMC did introduce a great (butm properitary) alternative, which they called "truCourse" Steering. Other boat builders did use the Teleflec still cable but that requires another hole in the transom for the "tiller" rod to attach to the sterndrive not too elegant.

One problem I've experienced with rope pulley steering is it can "slip off" especially if the sterndrive is turned in the up position, resulting in partial or total sterring loss.
Then if you're not careful re-spooling it, it's easy to get it 180-degrees out, which makes for some fun boating!

Lee