Re: [omc-boats] expense

From: lib1@...
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 08:51:59 -0600

Hi Hank,

Welcome. Always nice to have new people! And what a great question. Let's try to put a perspective on boat ownership and money (HA!)

The old saying, "The two best days of a boat owners' life, a) the day he buys it and b) the day he sells it." Still hold pretty true.

Boat ownership brings a lot of pleasure, but it also brings along quite a few (sometimes hidden) expenses. Where does a classic, like the 1970 Evinrude 19-ft Sport Fisherman fall?

Depending on your physical location and your own skills and patience most parts are not hard to get for this engine and sterndrive, including the rubber transom ring. As a later model check to see if your ring has the circular or rectangular outer aperture. The tilt motor can either be rebuilt (assuming corrosion hasn't taken it's toll, then it might better be replaced). You'll want to tackle this right away as depending on the trailer and your launch ramp situation, being able to raise and lower the sterndrive leg is fairly important. If you need help troubleshooting and repairing it -- don't butt heads with the dealer, many of us on this list have had to do this fairly minor repair. It might even be something as simple as a relay (there's one for up and one for down).

The little Chevy II-based 4 cylinder is very economical to run and will still push your 19-foot Rogue-based hull to about 28 - 32 mph, lightly loaded, under ideal conditions (light load, calm seas, clean, waxed hull, right prop etc.) Getting mechanical parts for the engine, or having it re-built should never be a problem, as this engine was widely used in many marine applications. It's essentially 2/3's of the famous Chevy inline "Stovebolt" six.

The OMC long-shaft "Electric Stringer" sterndrive parts take a little longer to source but sharp eyes know where to find the parts. Dealers don't like to work on them, unless they grew up with them and know they can be reliable in the right hands. (Meaning you observe a few common-sense TLC operating rules, like don't use the electric tilt as an operation trim!) See my web pages devoted to the electric stringer and props at: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm Depending on your operating altitude and what you plan on using the boat for, I'd recommend a fairly low pitched prop: I'd swing a 12, 13 or 14-inch pitch to help out the smaller motor on this larger boat.

The few parts that are made of "unobtainium" tend to be boat-specific parts like navigation light lenses, glass, seating, instruments, trim, etc. But most of those items can replaced with newer replacements from a marine retailer, catalog or dealer. IF you really find you love the boat, but find out its underpowered for your needs, upgrading to a V6 or V8 powerhead would be pretty easy (but not necessarily inexpensive) to do (see my V6 to V8 conversion at: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/chevy_v8.htm )

Like anything approaching 40 years old, you'll find lots of little things to clean up and refurb. You'll probably chase down dirt or water in the fuel tank/carb. You'll find electrical contacts corrode with age and rubber parts can become brittle, etc. But underneath it these were very well-built and documented boats. Finding and fixing these little things can rewarding if you enjoy this type of relaxation. If you'd rather to NOT "pain" to "gain", and would rather be out on the lake, then buy a new boat. (Big $$$).

It's your choice, but this old gal probably has a lot going for it. It's a deep, safe, roomy hull. The Chevy II motor will get you there and back, very economically, but won't set any speed records. It won't be great on hole shots, but it will certainly pull the kids around on an inflatable with no problems and without using a lot of fuel. I'd just try a make sure there's no evidence of water penetrating the lower hull. I'd even go as far as weighing the empty boat and trailer on a public scale. If you and your marine dealer buddy are fairly certain the hull is sound and free of mater logging, then I think you'll find this classic fairly affordable to own, restore, maintain and enjoy. But in the larger scheme of things your initial purchase costs are probably just the beginning.

Good luck and keep us informed of how it goes!

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City