Re: [omc-boats] Sterndrive specs

From: lib1@...
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:39:35 -0600

Hello,

To answer your question --- If we assume the sterndrive is original to the boat - 1969 Rogue, then you SHOULD not list it as a model 800. The model 800 did not debut until 1978.

If it were mine I would describe it by the model/type number, most likely a "TU" prefix. You should be able to see the model number plate on the intermediate housing.
Feel free to read my webpages on identifying OMC sterndrive models: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/omc_stringer.htm

The 800 series shared it's "stringer" floating transom mount but abandoned the "electric" shift of the 1964 - 1977 "original" stringers. The 800-series borrowed the lower unit from the outboards which use a thru-prop exhaust.

You unit is actually a 5-bolt cap (1st appeared in 67-68) unit with a long-leg. It also has the "tall" 21:16 gearing suitable for V8's.

Hope this helps. Good luck selling your unit. Describe it as an OMC "Electric-shift Stringer," and list the exact model number (TU-XX-Letter) and you should be accurate.

Lee