[omc-boats] Greetings!

From: MIKE MARY DAVIES <crashboat@...>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:05:05 -0700

Greetings, I'm glad to get on the mailing list and hook up with others who appreciate the old OMCs as much as I do!

I first got the bug when I visited the OMC site back in 2002 and really liked the Evinrude Sweet 16. Of course, I figured the chances of ever finding one were slim to none! I was flabbergasted to find one 3 weeks later - sitting by the side of the road less than 5 miles from my Seaside, Oregon home!! Needless to say, I couldn't call the guy quick enough! $400 and I was an Evinrude owner! With a Glasspar G3 project in the works, my Sweet 16 project would have to wait awhile.

Since then, "Sweet Thang", a 1964 Sweet 16, model no.20240IE, serial no.Q-6222, has been completely redone - right down to removing the transom, flooring and 1200 lbs. of waterlogged foam. I decided on a newer, custom look rather than an exact restoration of the original - I'm very pleased with the "retro" look and feel. It now has several coats of custom Sea Foam Sterling paint, all new everything, including a 2004 Evinrude E-tec 90 hp engine. ( The emblems off of a 1964 Starflite engine keep people wondering!) She's been in the water once and ran about 46 mph while maintaining incredible stability and poise. What a sweetheart!

I'm now only waiting on the upholsterer to finish a custom interior and towing cover and then she'll be finished, hopefully by July 31, 2006.

Thanks for letting me share this project - I'll send more photos of the completed boat!

Question for anyone - Any ideas on how to restore the original manufacturer's model plate from the dash?