Re: [omc-boats] Small Block Chevy V8's

From: lib1@...
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:38:27 -0600

Here's my 2 cents worth on the OMC versions of the 307 small block Chevy.

1) OMC first sourced their V8 in 1966-67 using the Buick Special 200hp 300 cu in V8. It would be fun to swap in a "mild" 401Buick "nailhead" V8 as it would share thea bellhousing bolt pattern of the little 300, sourcing exhaust manifolds migh represent a problem!

2) The 1967-68 the small block Chevy 185 hp 283 was first offered to OEM sterndrive buyers, but never offered in OMC/J/E boats. Not sure, but I think these 283's came with the Rochester 4MV QuadraJet from OMC.

3) The 307 Chevy replaced the 300 Buick in all OMC/J/E 19-footersd beigining in 1968. It was rated at 210 hp and featured the 4MV QuadraJet and Mallory marine distributor.

4) In 1971 the 307 was offered in 215 and 235 versions. The 235 versions were painted Orange and featured Corvette/Z-28 cast valve covers and hotter cam and heads, as well as thru transom exhausts, in 1972 - 75 the ratings werer 225 and 245 again the 307. From what I've heard, most of the power gains were from the cam & heads at the expense of a lumpy idle and a lot more noise.

>From the OMC mechanics I know, they all still marvel at how smooth and quiet the 210/215/225 307's are, especially at idle. They idle better than the post-79 350's and 305's (the 305 replaced the 307).

The QuadraJet is also highly respected as an easy to maintain, tune and repair marine carb. The spreadbore design allows it to operate very economically on the primary bores. I'm not sure how GM selecterd/sourced/tested these engines, but they seemed to have worked very well for OMC, given their heritage as bread-and-butter small block engines in Chevy cars and trucks.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had direct experience comparing the 307 with a 350 or larger small block in front of an AMC stringer drive?

Lee Shuster