RE: [omc-boats] wiring help

From: Lee Shuster \(L1hhs\) <lib1@...>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 14:30:07 -0600

Hi David,

I now realize that I forgot to answer one of your primary questions
regarding how to treat or coat connectors.

OMC originally used a black rubber coating material. You'll find it
applied to the starter relay and tilt relay connections. Forty years
later it's brittle, nasty stuff. I'm guessing it's probably similar to
the "liquid tape" like products you can buy at Home Depot or the marine
stores. It did serve to seal out corrosion and to also insure against
physical vibration where the threaded electrical fastener can loosen
over time. Personally, I'd rather use Permatex RTV instead of the liquid
tape, as it remains more flexible over extended time. And then depend on
a sealed terminal or combination of heat shrink tubing to help seal the
wire/connector from corrosion. Another benefit of heat-shrink tubing is
it acts to physically strain-relief the wire/terminator physical
connection from damage/disconnection.

Ethan's correct in that a good di-electric (grease) can also help seal a
connector, but offers little vibration resistance. The point is this:
not just one chemical product does it all. Don't be afraid to try out
several.

Also, I'm not clear which starter connection(s) you refer to. The very
large battery cables are easily replaced but don't typically come with
adhesive-sealed heat shrink lugs. Also, traditional "flooded" lead-acid
batteries contribute gas venting which leads to accelerated corrosion
and frequent maintenance (the ole baking soda cleanings to neutralize
pH). Consider using an AGM or spiral-technology battery like Optima, to
greatly battery and battery cable maintenance.

Also take care to document the tilt relay wiring. They are easily
confused. (I know I've done it!)

Ethan's also right about wiring colors. Very few people who undertake
wiring projects rarely bother to document their work. (I'm guilty, for
sure.) Not only will the next owner not have a clue, but I'd guess most
of us will forget six weeks down the road how we re-did something. E/J/O
did a great job following standards and documenting their products, we
should all follow the excellent example the E/J/O engineers set for us.
It only takes a few extra minutes to write it down, then stuff it in the
toolbox or shop manual.

Lee Shuster
Lib1@...