[omc-boats] Extruded Rubber Seal Replacements (sorry for long post)

From: Lee Shuster \(L1hhs\) <lib1@...>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:51:38 -0700

Hi,

Has anyone else been looking for replacement extruded rubber gaskets or
vinyl rub rails for their E/J/O boats? Finding a match ain't easy, let
me tell ya.

My '66 Sportsman needs the motor hatch gasket replaced. Kelly Woods who
runs the www.fiberglassics.com <http://www.fiberglassics.com/> website
has forged a member discount with www.wefcorubber.com
<http://www.wefcorubber.com/> of Canoga Park, CA. BTW, if you haven't
already joined fiberglassics.com Do it! It's money well spent. Kelly
runs a great site.

I just spoke with Wefco and they have over 9000 rubber gasket patterns
available. Minimum order is $25.00. Typical rubber gaskets retail for $2
or $3 a foot. I'd estimate my engine cover will use about 15 to 20 feet.
Anyone else need 66 - 67 I/O engine hatch gaskets? I'm guessing this
would apply to Playmate/Caprice, Sportsman/Reveler, possibly early
Rogue/Surfers? You guys with 17-ft Deluxes might also use this type
gasket?

These "early" type motor hatches externally expose the gasket, as it
seals (water/noise) to the top desk surface. (Later models recessed and
attached the gasket internally inside a channel that was part of the
deck. This helped protect the gasket from harmful elements, especially
UV from the sun.)

Wefco Rubber told me the best thing to do is send them a small sample
and they'll either match it closely or quote an "affordable" setup fee
to create an exact extruded profile match. A custom job probably only
makes sense for a minimum 250-foot run, or suitable for about 10 E/J/O
boats. I'm sending in a small sample of my engine hatch gasket to
determine if they already have a close match.

They also do vinyl rub rails, but getting them done in (65-66) red or
(67-later) blue (as opposed to white, black or gray) might be
prohibitive, unless several people bought in. (Minimum color batches
require 250 pounds of vinyl material - that's a lot of rub rail!)
Anyone ever checked to see if our boats have any commonality on rub
rails across years and models?

Lee Shuster

Salt Lake City

http://hhscott.com/evinrude