Re: [omc-boats] Shifter preferences?

From: Mstvsnd@...
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:21:27 EDT

My experience with the buttons was short and unpleasant. When I got my '64
Sweet 16 in 1998 it had a Starflite 90 hp outboard with button shift. The
mechanic at our local marina, who had worked on these motors going back 30 years,
had no use for either of them; told me the motor with its four carbs was next
to impossible to keep in tune, and the transmission's solenoid wore out and
was impossible to replace. "When it pops out of gear", he said, "it sounds like
you're hitting a stump". He was right on both counts.

The engine and transmission had a race to see which one would fail first. The
tranny pulled to an early lead, but the motor caught up and eventually threw
a wrist pin, scored the cylinder, and won. I mounted a 1975 E-rude 70 hp with
lever/lockout controls the next summer, and not had a bit of trouble with
either one since.

Mike Stevesand