[omc-boats] where is the red line?

From: Paige <windfallfarm@...>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:32:09 -0500

Well after three years of trial and error I have finally started using
my 1969 155hp I/O Johnson Reveler. It made it off the trailer, into the
water, and around the lake at trolling and cruising speeds, we even
dragged some fools around on skiis for the day.
My question, the speedometer, how accurate is it? We had it up near 24
(mph/knots?) but I was really watching the tach instead. When getting
the skiier up I do full throttle until the boat comes on plane and then
ease off to just under 4000 rpm. It is a good clip for a slalom skiier,
the motor does handle it very well. After dumping so much time and
money into the boat I am bound and determined to use it for what we
enjoy most, getting our arms pulled out by the sockets and healthy doses
of lake water in our orifices.
I do not want to stress the motor or lower unit with too many full
throttle starts but it is a ski boat after all, the block is seasoned,
and all is in good working order.
So, where is the red line on my tach? Is it ok to be cranking along at
4000 rpms?
I could not be more happy that my old boat is afloat and running well,
love it.
She is the most quiet ski boat on the lake, purrs like a kitty.
Thanks, Paige