Re: [omc-boats] Excel Spreadsheet for top Speed calculation

From: Phil Budne <phil>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:18:46 -0400 (EDT)

Lee Shuster wrote:

> So here's the actual Excel file, for those of you who have the ability
> to read *.xls spreadsheets. If anyone out ther can write a javascript or
> perlscript version of the calculator, please let me know?

Perl would require a server that can execute "CGI" scripts. Since I
know hot to use Perl, and know I hate it, and I've just been learning
a bit about Javascript, I thought I'd give it a whirl. This is the
first page I've done from scratch.

I have some ideas on making it fancier:
        plotting speed vs. passengers
        "popup" with various OB and I/O engine choices
                (automatically adding in weight,
                and de-rated HP depending on stern vs OB)

But since I'm going away for the rest of the week, I thought I'd share
what I have:

http://www.gull-wing.net/speed.html

The only formula I'd ever seen was for displacement hull speed, so I
did a bit of googling looking for information on planing hulls. The
best page I found on the topic is:

http://www.hydrocompinc.com/knowledge/techexchange/tex0501.htm