[omc-boats] RE: omc-boats-digest V1 #321

From: joe sibilia <joesibilia@...>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:19:36 -0400

Daemian,

I’m almost finished with painting the white on my Sweet 16 and have had
success with “Signature Finish.” I saw the product demonstrated on Ship
Shape TV. By controlling the “flow fluid” (a type of thinner) you change
the viscosity and the application method to suit different situations. I
rolled it on and it looks almost as good as spray, great shine.

Where I did a poor job of sanding off some old layers of anti-fowling paint
I’m going to try an additional thicker/heavier coat(s) to cover, I’ll report
on my success. This product is even more expensive than the Interlux
mentioned, but I felt it was worth it for the hull. I’ll probably use
something more economical for the topsides as I’ll dull it anyway. Check
out their website www.fabulainc.com or call them 772-287-6077, you will
probably speak directly with Tom Fabula, the owner.

I avoid using Bondo in favor of 2 part marine grade fillers, preferably
approved for below water-line use. I am under the impression that Bondo is
too porous for marine use. I’m paranoid of water seeping in and rotting the
stringers, I already replaced a rotten transom (used composite).

A realize your Rogue is much larger and heavier than my Sweet 16 but the
method I used to get to the bottom might work for you too. I did not want
to try to flip the boat, nor did I want to crawl under it on blocks so kept
my boat its trailer. Then I slid the hull back a few feet on the trailer I
and painted the accessible areas. When that coat dried I cranked the hull
forward on the trailer to get the sections blocked by the trailer rollers
and painted those sections, then repeated as necessary to get the number of
coats desired.