Re: [omc-boats] Ballast resistor wanted!

From: lib1@...
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:26:15 -0600

Hi Mike,

There's nothing "marine-rated" or special about the GM ballast resistor used
on our boats to knock down the "running" voltage to match the requirements
of the 6-volt coil. (The resistor is by-passed only when starting for a
fatter crank-over spark). You can get another suitable ballast resistor at
any NAPA or auto parts place for any 55 - 75 (pre-HEI) GM (12-volt) car. I
wouldn't fight trying to get the old one out, just wire the new one up and
mount it somewhere conviently close by.

Lee