[omc-boats] ball gear int. housing

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:57:22 -0500

I finally did it. I could not stand the small oil drip at the ball gear at the intermediate housing so I replaced the seal in the bearing retainer. You pull the ball gear and shaft from the intermediate housing and there is a small clip which you remove which allows you to remove 2 bearings from the shaft. You have a bearing inner race pressed on the shaft that you have to remove prior to removing the bearing retainer. I have a press and a press tool to remove the race which I did and it came off easily. I slipped the bearing retainer off and replaced the seal. I think the leak was from the seal. The rubber part of the seal looked warped like it had been soaked in solvent and I speculate that the previous mechanic that installed the replacement ball gear soaked the parts in solvent prior to reassembly and didn't notice the bad seal - anyway the seal presses out easily and the new one went in nicely. Put the retainer back on the shaft and install the outer bearing race then the 2 bearings and clip and you are done. Time will tell if I am correct. Just thought I would pass this on. TK