Re: The infamous family project (free boat)

From: lib1 <lib1@...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:28:44 -0600

1) Re: Underfloor re-construction of OMC Boats
(Yes, they all had polyurethane foam which was sealed-in place under pressure,
beneath the plywood floor. It not only serves as floatation,
it also serves to improve structual integrity along with the stringers

Be sure you not only checkout continuouswave.com (devoted to Boston Whalers)
but also check out
Kelly Wood's excellent fiberglassics.com Lotsa help on the forum for
fiberglass repair techniques of boats from the 50's 60's & 70's

A sure indicator that you have underfloor water are soft spots in the floor
deck
or transom areas. It's also valuable to get an empty boat's baseline weight,
but that can be a little difficult if you don't know your trailer weight.
I have published (factory data) weights on the 64-66 Sweet 16 and Sportsman
hulls & motor combo's here:
http://www.hhscott.com/evinrude/little_dude_trailer.htm

2) Determining your boat's exact model year is easy if you get the model
number off the hull's ID plate.

You can cross-reference your 1962 - 19070 Johnson, Evinrude or OMC boat's
model year on my web page here (Some Canadian models may differ):
http://www.hhscott.com/evinrude/all_omc_boats.htm

The database is coming along, but I haven't identified all the various colors.
Please feel free to e-mail Phil or me with updates or corrections.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City

PS -- Did I miss something? Why is this family project INFAMOUS?