Re: More Seat Restoration

From: Mstvsnd@...
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 22:52:49 EDT

I'm guessing that original OMC seat frames are hard to come by; likewise the
U-shaped mounting brackets that fit into the slotted plates. It seems most of
the '64 - '70 OMCs I see have retro-fitted seats. I would imagine they
wouldn't be hard to fabricate though, with an original as a template.

You've probably figured this out, but another nice detail is that the rear
seats can be mounted to face either backward or forward with the floor plate and
bracket arrangement. Passengers seem to like the forward-facing position,
but as the skipper I prefer the backward. The original 90-S motor on my '64
Sweet 16 threw a wrist pin and scored a cylinder the first season I had it (and
the cylinder walls were too thin to permit boring out for larger pistons
apparently; it was a PIA motor all the way around actually) and I replaced it with a
'75 70 hp E-rude. It has plenty of cruising power and gets the same top
speed the 90 did (about 30 mph by the original speedo), but seems to be a bit
sluggish getting up on plane with the rear seats and passengers all the way to the
back.

Mike