eBay comment; was: <Re: Sport '16 vs Sportsman>

From: Lee Shuster \(lib1\) <lib1@...>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:04:31 -0600

Bill Parkinson wrote: > FYI... I just had my 65 Sweet 16 I/O in absolutely
great condition on ebay last week. Seems these boats don't have a great deal
of value price wise. High bid was 1k.... my comments on this is ^%&#%#$#!$#!

I totally agree with Bill, eBay may not be the best test of market values on
boats, especially as we enter the traditional "off season." But as a
long-time eBayer, a lot of other factors enter into maximizing your sale
price including your physical location and effective photography of the item
your are selling. Also, I have found protecting your item with a reserve
price, tends to keep bidding low. Items with "No Reserve" will usually
encourage more bidding participation. While eBay DOES expose your product to
a wide geographic market, ---your local "pennysaver" might do better in
YOUR specific local economy

But Bill, we you aware that your boat's bidding actually went to a high of
$1,300 not "1k." See:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2436658881

With excellent resources like Phil's website, the market awareness and value
of these boats should continue to increase. While the OMC-boats don't match
the resale values of say, traditional favorites, like Boston Whalers, the
OMC-boats feature innovative packaged designs, excellent build quality and
were extremely well documented. (Every see an illustrated parts breakdown
for most popular boats from '60's?).

You've obviously got a extremely well maintained example in your Sweet '16
I/O, there Bill. Enjoy it for its value and worth to you. Remember,
recreational vehicles in general, don't historically have stellar
depreciation curves, but especially in light of our country's on going
economic downturn. Also, keep in mind that this online community is
potentially composed of both buyers and sellers and that in our free economy
"true market value" is only determined when agreement is reached by both
parties. Sometimes that means, as in Chad's case, parting-out the odd-fire
155 Buick V6 to an interested CJ Jeep owner and getting more for parts than
for an otherwise potentially nice turn-key boat.

And that's OK, too.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City