Re: omc-boats-digest - How to keep 'em going

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:32:40 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/03 8:44:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
gfell@... writes:

> Don't laugh, but I
> actually don't need any parts at the present time. The boat is perfect.
As
> it's been in the family for 34 years, it has great sentimental value to me.

The main thing is to do regularly scheduled maintainance - especially on the
outdrive unit. If you find ANY water in the lower unit, get new seals
installed
right away.

Keep fluid levels topped off. Repair a damaged vibrating prop.

Be sure to open the petcocks on the block this winter. On some models,
210hp, you may have to loosen the water hoses to insure that all water is
out of the engine and water pump so that freezing cannot occur.

Get an owners manual if you don't have one. There is a lot of good
information
on maintaining these wonderful old boats.

Inspect your fuse block and clean all contacts when needed. Inspect your
wiring harness on the engine and be ready to make a new one if it is cracked
and flaking. Clean the big plug that connects the harness to the boat's
wiring.
If that plug has gotten wet in the past, oxidation may have occurred. You'll
need that plug when you make a new harness. It can be spliced onto new
wires. I've done it once on a 69 Seasport 155.

I contacted linda@... (Anthony) and got an immediate response from
Anthony's wife. He is out of town, yet she was able to look up the parts I
requested and give me prices. We will be doing business soon.

She even gave me the GM part # for the intake manifold gasket I need and said
it is available at NAPA auto parts stores. I'm going to pick up the gasket
this
morning and finally may be able to get started on my 1970 Johnson "Surfer"
210.

We just lost another good neighbor, first it was Johnny Cash, now - Sheb
Wooley is gone. He lived on Old Hickory Lake as do I near Hendersonville, TN.

Remember the song Purple People Eater from the 50's? Sheb wrote it.

Lee Hazen