Re: omc- 1970 Johnson Surfer with oil/water mix in engine

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:32:35 EDT

tklauber@... writes:

> You blew me away on the amp answer!

Glad you enjoyed it.

 To more important stuff now - I have
> heard you can wash an engine out with diesel fuel and maybe thats a good
> start. Water sinks under oil so most of the water should come out early.

In my case, the boat had been run by both previous owners who were oblivious
of the intrusion of the water into the oil. The water was so thoroughly mixed
with the oil that the oil looked and poured like thick honey. The water could
not seperate from the oil and rest in the bottom of the pan. It took over an
hour to drain the 3 1/2 gallons of sludge from the engine into the bilge and
out the drain plug in back. It left one nasty mess in the bilge similar to
the
Exxon Valdez tragedy.

I'm guessing that if I put 2 quarts of 40 weight oil and 2 quarts of diesel
fuel
into the crank case and run the engine at a fast idle - 1500 rpm for about
10 minutes and then drain, that maybe that will clean the engine out
sufficiently. I'm worried about the hydraulic lifters and small passageways
getting clean.

but, first I need to find the leak. Once the weather cools down a bit, I'll
tackle
it. I'd like to back it into the garage so I can work on it whenever I want
but that
means that one of my cars will have to sit outside. My garage is 26' deep and
I think the boat and trailer will fit inside and allow me to close the garage
door.

I got a phone call from a nice Gentleman who lives in Alabama who also has
a 70 model Johnson Surfer which he has owned since new. I'll give him
instructions on joining the list as soon as I recieve an e mail from him. He
has seen our home page and saw the pictures and my post and looked me up.

Lee