Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #93

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:34:27 -0400

You blew me away on the amp answer! To more important stuff now - I have
heard you can wash an engine out with diesel fuel and maybe thats a good
start. Water sinks under oil so most of the water should come out early. I
have found a glyptol coating on some internal passages like in the new
exhaust manifolds I bought and this is redish brown in color. It is
basically paint I think- I had a new pickup once and I could not get the oil
filter off ( it got painted on or something )and I ended up using a ball
joint "pickle fork" and stabbed it (what a mess of oil) and used it as a
lever to spin it off. I guess you could use a long big screw driver and stab
it and spin it off (prepare for a mess in the bilge)! Do you reckon it is
rusted on or cross threaded? I hope it comes off with out problems. A
compression check would be a good thing to do as you mentioned. This could
diagnose a cracked block, head or blown head gasket.When you run each
cylinder check you can remove the thermostat housing and check for air
bubbles (Seloc manual Section 9 - p.10). Something to do over a rainy
weekend! Tom K.