Re: prop pitch?

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:28:38 -0400

I generally like to keep rpms closer to 3000 when cruising which pushes me
in the mid 20s, depending on whether I'm going with or against the chop. My
redline is also around 4000 rpm with low-mid 30 mph max., but I don't like
to push an engine this old. We did on occasion up to ~10 years ago and the
result was an overheat light within a few minutes. Now I'm more concerned
about things like rods, pins, and bearings. The boat usually planes between
15-20 and will get there very quickly if I goose the throttle. I'm on
vacation next week and hope to put on a lot of hours so I could write down
some detailed info (rpm, plane & top speeds for each prop) if it would be
helpful.

You should always have a spare prop if you're on a big lake (I'm on southern
Lake Huron), but I'd find a prop repair shop before scraping the old one.
Depending on how bad the damage is, they usually do a pretty good job on
repairs. It cost me $30 to repair minor damage on my 18 and $35 to get the
22 knocked down a few years ago. Had I gone through a boat store instead of
direct to the repair shop, prices would've been double+ in time and money
and they would've sent it to the same place I took it!