Re: Before hitting the water this year

From: Phil Budne <phil>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:13:20 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:09:42 -0500
> From: pated66@...
>
> Hello everyone
> Hope you had a good winter.

> I'm desperately trying to find some info on my boat, particularly
> looking to swap in a motor with more HP. She's a 1966 14-15'
> Evinrude Swinger (closed bow) and currently has the stock 90 hp v4.
>
> This was left un-attended for many years before I got her, and
> although she runs, I do need more power. Can anyone give me info on
> what block to look for, and info on converting it from auto to boat
> use?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Paul

Ken Cook Co. (http://www.kencook.com/kccwww/marinepubs/marinepubs.html)
sells copies of manuals, you need to know the model number (it's on the
mfgr's plate). There was only one 14' boat with a 90hp made in 1966:
312403 -- They list both owner's manuals, parts list, and possibly the
service manual

I'd be interested to know if that's the right number -- I've been
trying to build up a correspondance between model numbers and model
names (see the "omcdata" page). I'd also love a photo for the
"gallery" -- I don't have any swinger photos!!

We had a 90HP O.B. on our Sport '16, and it seemed like plenty. My
recall from the Rodengen book is that the 90HP stern drive was a 2
cycle engine, is that the case?

Re: auto conversions. There was an article in WoodenBoat in the last
few years on how to convert a Subaru engine for marine use. There were
some serious issues regarding vent holes in the electrics...

-phil