New Member

From: Spivey, Michael <michael.spivey@...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:24:17 -0800

Hello all

This is my first posting to the list. I am 47 married with grown children.
I am an A&P Mechanic, an Avionics Tech, Machinist, Gunsmith, a deep water
sailor (Navy), and am an ex Sea Scout. My interest in the list is that I am
the proud owner of a 1966 Evinrude 16 foot 120 Hp I/O. The model number is
234503R. The plan form of the boat has 4 seats in the main area and a bench
forward with a sideways folding two-piece windscreen and a walk through.
The boat came with the original trailer also a 1966 Evinrude 16 foot with a
tilt bed and no wheel brakes. The trailer model number is 975985R. The
boat was given to me from an estate, as it had been basically sitting and
rotting away for the last 10 years once its owner had died. The children
(grown with families) had no interest in the boat which was their fathers
baby. I was asked if I wanted the boat, and I thought about it for at least
a couple of seconds.

The boat is a little worse for wear and has been sitting under eucalyptus
trees in the Cajon Pass area of So Cal. The hull is sound and needs some
minor repairs a lot of elbow grease and either a new gel coat or paint
(paint after looking at the cost of gel coat). The inside of the boat was
filled with about 8 to 12 inches of leaves, branches, and seedpods (and
dirt). The seat cushions are what you would expect from sitting out in the
sun for years. My step dad and I pulled it to its new home in Ontario, Cal,
which was an adventure in itself as the tires had also sat for ten years.

Last weekend I began to look into the condition of my prize and was able to
freely turn (crank) the engine over after squirting and letting Marvel
Mystery Oil sit in each cylinder for about ½ hour. The O/D was checked for
lube and the upper section had no water in it, the lower had about 2
tablespoons of clear water in it. The tilt drive began to work after a few
clicks of the up and down solenoids. There is some mouse/rat damage to the
plywood in the side cubbies so that will have to be replaced. The doghouse
over the engine compartment will have to be either replaced or rebuilt. The
fuel system is next on my list.

I can use some help with the following. What is the name of this model of
Evinrude boat? Can any one send me multiple views of the doghouse/engine
cover so I have something to go on to build one? And finally any
suggestions on what else I should be looking for? I also joined the list
from home at michaelgspivey@... <mailto:michaelgspivey@...>.
Please send any images to that e-mail address. I will post an image of the
boat to the site soon.

Thanks

Mike Spivey
Ontario, Ca 91762