Re: 1965 OMC Deluxe 17

From: Bruce Douglas <bdcs@...>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 11:37:49 -0600

Hi Brendt,

Nice to hear from someone who also has one of these boats. I think they are
really a classic
old boat that was ahead of it's time. Down in your part of the world, you
would probably have
an easier time of finding parts than I would here in Canada. If you come
across of any good
spots for stern drive parts, would you let me know? Mine is running good
also, but because I
am at 3500ft. altitude, I am running a 14X18" prop and I added a set of
stabilizers to the stern
above the exhaust and cavitation plate. They made a big difference for me
comming out of the
hole.Now it just pops right out of the water. On the Mississippi, you are
probably close to sea
level, and would't have that problem. I am not quite sure whether mine is a
1965 or1964. On
my engine the model number is (HU-12B) which corresponds to 1964 in the
service manual.
Could you tell me what your's says. Also, what size prop are you running. I
am finding it difficult
to get the old pin drive props up here.
Another thing that might interest you, is that you can get the original
manuals for your boat at:
www.kencook.com under Marine Literature. Also if you look in
www.boatowner.com and click
on fiberglass, then on fiberclassics. Go to bottom of page and look in other
stuff. Go to (some
Johnson Stuff - 1962). Some nice pictures there of the same boat with an
outboard.
Well I had better depart for now but do keep in touch.

Bruce Douglas
Douglas Computer Systems Ltd.
403-281-7290 Phone/Fax