[OMC-Boats] Spark plug wire order for odd-fire V-6

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 20:31:09 -0500 (CDT)

This question is directed to anybody who has an odd-fire 225 in^3 V-6. I'm
trying to trouble-shoot some ignition problems and it'd be nice to talk to
somebody who a similar engine. I noticed that Dave Rusilas discussed
having this engine in a post ~5 years ago (and again in 2010), so I'm
hoping he's still got his and is reading the list.

My points started sticking over the winter, so I opened up the distributor
(first time since I bought the boat in '04) to clean them. After that the
engine would start and idle just fine, but is popping (misfiring) under
load. I think that may just be due to the points still being dirty and
I've got some new ones coming (thought about doing Pertronix, but decided
to replace the points instead) but that's not my main concern.

The distributor is just as described by Dave below - a Delco Remy unit with
mechanical advance, a screen on the distributor cap (which has evenly
spaced contacts, both inside and out), and an elongated rotor.

While I had it apart, I noticed that the order of the plug wires makes no
sense. My OMC dealer service manual (for the exact make, model, and year
of my boat) says that the contact on the distributor just to the "right" of
the screen is #1, and that they increase in a clockwise order (looking from
the top). But when I look at my distributor cap, the one marked #1 is
exactly aligned with the screen and they increase counter-clockwise.

My understanding is that the portside cylinders are 135 (front to rear) and
the starboard cylinder are 246. The firing order marked on the valve cover
is 165432, so I would assume that cylinder 1 should go to contact 1 on the
distributor cap, cylinder 6 to 2, cylinder 5 to 3, cylinder 4 to 4, cyl 3
to 5, and cyl 2 to 6.

This isn't how it was wired though, either in the anti-clockwise order
marked on the cap or the clockwise order specified in the manual.

Unless my notes were wrong, they were wired as follows:
cylinder numbered contact on distributor
1 2
2 1
3 3
4 4
5 5
6 6

I can't come up with any rotation or reversal of this pattern that would
yield the pattern I'm supposed to get. I'm wonder if I wrote down the
ordering incorrectly? It seems unlikely, as I marked the wires one at a
time in order as I removed them and it idles fine with the current
configuration, but who knows? If my notes are correct, it's probably been
that way for years.

I am pretty sure that my engine is the odd-fire - the casting number on the
block is 991503, which is supposed to be "V6, Odd-Fire, Kaiser Jeep
Corp/AMC". I didn't look at the cam in the distributor, but the rotor has
the elongated arm described by Jeff.

To determine if your engine is an odd-fire, look at the casting number
(visible on the top of the engine, at the back where it bolts onto the
intermediate housing) and match it up with this list:
   http://nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~reese/BuickV6CastingNumbersandInternalSpecs.pdf

If anybody has an odd-fire V-6, is there any chance you could look at the
distributor and tell me:
   a. Which port is #1? (relative to the screen and the front of the engine)
   b. Do the ports increase clockwise or counter-clockwise?
   c. What is the part number on your distributor cap?
   d. What order are the cylinders wired to the distributor?

Thanks!

Ethan