Re: [OMC-Boats] 1967 Sportsman 155 Value

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:32:34 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Timothy Paget wrote:
> I have a 1967 Sportsman 155 with the original Evinrude trailer. The engine
> runs good and a new outdrive was installed in 2003. Although the boat is
> mechanically sound, it has been stored outdoor and shows signs of
> weathering. Could I get anyones opinion as to how much I could expect to
> sell the combo for. Thank you.

I bought a 1970 Evinrude Explorer 155 with the original trailer from an
acquaintance back in '04 for $450. I didn't know much about its history,
but it was in running condition when I bought it with no obvious major
problems (just little stuff like a missing bilge pump). I felt like I got
a good deal, though I ended up spending hundreds more in repairs in the
first season (and thousands since then). I don't really follow prices all
that much, but I think $800-2000 is a fairly typical listing range for
these boats, though that doesn't mean they actually end up selling for
that.

I think the prices are really kept down by the OMC drives' reputation for
being difficult to work on - I think it is somewhat undeserved, but the
fact remains that there are dozens of local shops that work on Mercury
drives and almost none that do OMC, so that really drives up prices on
maintence and down on the boats, except for people who don't know any
better (like me).

Ethan