[OMC-Boats] prop safety

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:44:13 -0700

this came out today

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/jurors-find-boat-manufacturer-partly-liable-527456.html

I personally don't think the boat mfgr should have been to blame at
all, no more than a car company should be to blame when someone gets
run over. But it has made me start thinking about prop safety.

- anyone know or have any direct experience with any prop guards out
there?

- the whole prop lower unit system seems goofy to me. It's this big
house of cards - if you hit something you either ruin your lower
unit, or if your lucky you break a fin off your prop. All the prop
needs to do is spin through water. So why isn't it designed with a
simple cotter pin type of system where the cotter pin breaks the
second it encounters any resistance? Am I missing something
here? Cheaper, safer, could fix on the fly just by putting in a
new pin. Eh?

jeff