Re: [OMC-Boats] Sportsman 155 Engine Replacement

From: Lee Shuster <lks@...>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:29:38 -0700

Great question, Don. It gets to the reason the 1st-gen OMC sterndrives got nicknamed "Stringers."

I'll try to provide an an uncomplicated answer.

Over the life of the electric-Stringer (1962-1977) OMC used three (or four) types of engine mounting systems on all their electric-shift sterndrives.

First, as you recall the intermediate housing (the part that connects the engine to the sterndrive leg) is freely suspended or physically isolated inside the transom opening.

Unlike other sterndrives the transom is not used to provide structural support for the engine nor does it transmit or resist thrust-vector forces.

As in most successful designs there were evolutionary improvements. I'll attempt to describe the historic evolution without pictures so bear with me:

Type I Mount (Rear Overhead Frame):
The OMC Sterndrive was initially introduced in 1961-1962 using the V-4 90 cu in 2-stroke powerhead, borrowed from the 1960-61 75 hp outboard. As this powerhead was relatively light (~ 160 lbs) OMC engineers engineered a sturdy steel mounting frame which permitted hanging the powerhead and intermediate section using circular rubber isolation donuts. (An alternative floor-mount was provided to OEM boat builders). All OMC boats that used the V-4, initially the 1962-63 17-Deluxe, followed by the 1964 Evinrude 16, followed by the 1965 14 Caprice-Playboy used this simple but effective frame mount system. At first glance the steel frames, look like they are supported by the transom, but they actually tie into the floor and it's supporting (below floor) stringers.

Type II Mount (Rear Over Head Frame and Single-Point Floor Mount):
OMC realized they need to add four-stroke automotive engines to expand the power range. In 1964 a range of GM-supllied engines were added. This included the first V6, (the 150-hp Buick 225 V6 and the Chevy II inline-4 153 which offered 110 or 120 hp depending on single or dual carbs. In 1966 the Buick 300 cu in V8 (200 hp) was added in the new 19-foot range. These early GM engines all used the 4-bolt top cap sterndrive. The rear mounting continued to use the steel frame. You can easily spot the mounting isolation donuts near the electrical solenoids for the tilt motor. A single-point (central) front engine mount supported the additional engine weight and
secured the engine to the floor. Essentially this is a three-point mounting system, two rear, one front. As far as I can tell it did not provide much isolation. (I'm describing what I'm familiar with in OMC boats -- I'm not sure what they sold to OEM boat builders).

Type III Mounts (Dual Wide Floor Mounts - Front/Rear):
Sometime in 1967 (might have been an ongoing change during the model year?) OMC introduced the 5-bolt top cap sterndrives with many internal changes. They also moved to an improved ALL-FLOOR, 4-point, mounting system, which became the standard for both OMC-Built and OEM-built Stringer-powered boats. The advantage of the all-floor mount system is that has a wider stance for lateral stability and permits all for mounts to feature isolation and minor trim adjustment. The mounts are elegantly engineering castings. You can see how I adapted my 66 Sportsman (which originally had Type II mounts to the Type III mounts, which came with my 1971 Small Block Chevy 307. ( see: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/chevy_v8.htm ) In my opinion, this is the preferred system to use. The modifications to your (pre-67-1/2 OMC boat are NOT particularly difficult, if you take the time to "measure twice and cut once." These mounts were provided for the inline GM engines, 4 and 6, as well as the GM V-series including Buick and Chevy.

Type IV Mounts (Dual Wide, Fixed Rear, Adjustable Front):
After OMC ceased boat production, the introduced the last variation of engine mounts. On the 70's OMC Inline GM engines and Ford V-8's OMC engineers introduced an adjustable front engine mount with the idea of permitting adjustable propellor thrust angles. (Remember, the Ball Gear UP-DOWN TILT is NOT TO EVER BE OPERATED as a THRUST TRIM. It's only there for beaching, trailering or LIMITED shallow water navigation). THRUST TRIMMING was accomplished by "rocking" or lifting/lowering the entire engine and intermediate housing a few degrees. It also relied on the fact that the transom aperture was sealed by a rubber boot, but it did cause extra stress on the boot and gave the Stringer a bad reputation. These were available in both manual and hydraulic assist versions. The power-assist versions were called SelectTrim. For several reasons, they aren't very practical for use in our OMC-built boats. It is far easier and less complicated to install trasom-mounted trim tabs. My advice is steer clear of these Walter Mitty nightmares.

Hope this long-winded, historical perspective is helpful.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City