Re: [OMC-Boats] Sportsman 155 Engine Replacement

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:09:34 -0600 (CST)
Hey Nexi,

Yep, I have some ideas about this...if you are looking for a straight up replacement you need a buick 225 odd fire, if you are talking about the 155 in NC then you SHOULD be able to reuse the manifols (exhaust and intake), hopefully rebuild the rochester 2G, the trick being finding a marine water pump...I understand that they are built with different impeller material that stand up to lake water better (I gather an automotive pump would work but would not last like the marine version)....you CAN get the manifolds still but they are not the cheapest items you'll ever find, just be aware....

OK, so the trick about looking for an odd fire BUICK V-6 is that they were NEVER put into BUICK's, LOL...they were put into JEEPS and OMC boats....so you are either looking for an OMC 155HP v-6 (again odd fire 225) or a "DAUNTLESS V-6" put in 60's era Jeeps (I know 69 jeepster FOR SURE as I used to own one :-) again the key is ODD FIRE 225

here is a site that has long blocks, I have never purchased from them myself but if I ever decided to replace my 225 here is where I would start...
http://remanufactured.com/Inboard_Marine_Engines.htm

OK so the next stop in the geneology is a 231 EVEN fire buick...here is some history to tell you what they would be in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

SO......a 231 is a less striaght forward swap, you'll need to be sure your intake and exhaust manifolds still fit and you'll need a new destributor (good news is an HEI unit should be pretty easy to come by)...also if you REALLY wanted to step up you have more options for hot rod stuff (like the HEI, cams, edelbrock makes a 4bbl intake specifically for it, etc)....I hesitate to mention this option...I would like to do it myself but currently HAVE NOT so I cannot be sure if there are any hidden "gotchas" in there...however from what I underdand an early 70's even fire SHOULD bolt right in with your ODD fire manifolds and work just fine...I think there are a few people here on the list that have even fires, although am not aware of anyone who has done the swap personally..

AND of course if you really want to do the MAC DADDY swap (particularly down at sea level) you must stop by and take a look at Lee's site....he put in a good ol' fashioned chevy small block.....gotta say, if you gonna do it, go big and put in a V-8, 350 would be SOOOO sweet and forget about any kind of parts availability issues (at least as far as the engine is concerned) lot's of aftermarket upgrades too.

Hope this is helpful...

Cheers,
B.C.

Heya BC...

Wondering if you know off hand what kind of engine I could drop into a sportsman 155. Don't know if I need to look for specific years or what not.

- Nexi