[OMC-Boats] bmw tour

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 09:51:41 -0500

I took my son to the BMW plant in Greer SC for a tour. First off it is a first class operation there - I do not drive a BMW cause they don't tow boats. My son has one and loves it. They have a minimuseum there on the floor with the usual lineage of cars and racers but what caught my eye was the BMW stern drive that went into production years ago. A massive beauty - I did not think to get the specs - I remember something like 130 HP and they made a couple thousand hoping to penetrate into the US market. I searched ebay and there is nothing like parts or units. It would fit my Rogue but looks heavy and maybe underpowered. The plant is not union and they have been there 15 years and are expanding and have some pretty good stats. Maybe the future is not so bad.
Well we are in the dead of winter - too cold to boat or even work on the boat unless you are fortunate to have an indoor shop with heat. Won't be long till boating season is back. Happy New Year to all. TK