Re: [OMC-Boats] engine wierdness

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:41:15 -0700

On Oct 29, 2009, at 5:48 PM, ANDY PERAKES wrote:

> I once had a crack in the rotor that would cause it to lose contact
> at different speed ranges so it can be almost anything. Sometimes
> failures can be induced by vibration, sometimes by heat, sometimes
> both or something completely different. As metal things like coils
> and wires expand and contract as they heat and cool, it can cause
> them to make intermittent contact that can be maddening to
> diagnose. Fuel could very well be a possibility too, things would
> indeed stop quick if you suddenly injected an air/water mix instead
> of an air/fuel mix.

ok so this is something i've wondered about........still learning how
engines actually work i guess..........if you have some water in your
line somehow and it makes it's way to the carb bowl, isn't it going
to get diluted a bit by the fuel already in the bowl? And once past
that point, wouldn't it go into one of the 6 cylinders OR if all 6
equally, isn't it further dilluted at that point being spread out
among 6 places? And if that's all true, then it seems the engine
would just cough a bit, then pick right back up a second later when
it got fed clean gas again? Seems like it would take a lot of
water in the line to completely and suddenly kill the engine, but im
not sure how it all works.

> Best way to check that would probably be connecting to a remote
> tank, but remember you'll still need to purge everything in the
> lines and bowl. It helps a lot that it starts back up for you.
> Good luck!

yeah, i'm glad about that too. although, it does take a while to
get it started again. not the greatest feeling when you are out on
the columbia alone in 50 degree weather and there aren't any other
boats around.